Select Page

Immigration agents deported a 31-year-old Houston father of two American children who have been here since he was 15 and had a temporary reprieve from deportation and no other criminal record.

The 22-year old went to the Houston immigration office for his annual check-in. He had a provisional stay of deportation and a work permit since 2012, when he was released from immigration custody after a media and congressional campaign drew attention to his case.

His arrest is part of a wave of detentions across the country after the Trump administration released new guidelines last month making practically every immigrant here illegally, even those like Escobar who have provisional protection from deportation, eligible for removal.

As a defense to his case, they didn’t give the man a chance to do anything. His lawyer was notified that he had been deported back to El Salvador, a country he hasn’t seen in 16 years.

Unlike the violent criminals Trump has said he would focus on, the accused man landed in deportation proceedings because of a simple paperwork gaffe.

His mother sent for him when he was 15 and like her, he qualified for temporary protected status for people fleeing widespread disasters in certain countries.

She assumed his permit would automatically renew when she reapplied for hers. But it didn’t.

Because they had moved, they didn’t receive the paperwork informing him that he had missed the deadline.

When he finally figured out what had happened, he tried to reapply for the permit but it was too late. The government had already initiated deportation proceedings. His wife said their lawyer told him not to show up at the court hearing or he would be deported. In his absence, the judge ordered him removed in 2006.

But with no one trying hard to find him, his family lived a normal life, moving to New Orleans and then back to Houston. Their son Walter was born.

On June 6, 2011, immigration agents arrested him as he pulled out of his driveway to go to work. His wife consulted with lawyers, created a petition on Change.org, and recruited the help of a US representative.

Her efforts paid off. After seven months in detention, immigration agents released the man in January 2012 on an order of supervision, a provisional stay of deportation in a process known broadly as prosecutorial discretion. He was required to check in with immigration agents once a year and given a temporary work permit.

It was part of a wave of reprieves announced that year by the administration of former, who said he wanted to focus the government’s limited resources on deporting violent criminals, rather than people with clean records who have been here for years and have American children.

But now such priorities have been rescinded. It’s swept fear across the country that’s been heightened by widespread raids and incidents like the arrest of a 22-year-old in Mississippi.

If you obtain “immigration hold” on your criminal act, you need to get the best attorney to get the criminal case to dismiss or reduced so that your immigration problem will be reduced. If you don’t fix the criminal allegation, you may never get a right to stay in the U.S. So, hire an experienced criminal attorney to fix the criminal allegation so you will avoid or reduce your immigration status in the U.S. Call or text 24/7  Attorney Abogado Yong J. An at 832 428 5679.  Criminal Defense Attorney Abogado.

Yong J. An, Criminal Defense attorney, Abogado de Defensa Criminal, Brazoria County, Pearland, Angleton, Lake Jackson, Manvel, Alvin, Freeport, Waller County, Hempstead, Chamber County, Anahuac, Montgomery County, Woodland, Conroe, Jefferson County, Beaumont, Liberty County. Also, Cleveland, Brazos County, College Station, Bryan, Fort Bend County, Sugarland. Moreover, Richmond, Rosenberg, Missouri City, Harris County, Houston, Spring, Pasadena, Humble, Tomball, Cypress, Webster, Galena Park, South Houston, Deer Park. Katy, Baytown, Kingwood, Galveston County, League City, Texas City, Dickinson, Kemah, Friendswood, and Santa Fe.